Thursday 11 February 2010

February 10th, 2010

Good news. The Arts Council of England have awarded me a grant so that I can make a fourth migrating stone - this comes as an enormous relief and brings with it a sense of trepidation. Where to take the fourth stone - this is the main question that is occupying me at the moment. I have an idea of what I want it to look like and even the stone that it will be made from - but it's destination is as yet unclear. Although, it is curious to note that two people have suggested I take it to the birth place of Aphrodite - Pahpos - on Cyprus. As three is my favourite number I figured I might wait a little while longer just to see if a third person comes along and suggests this location as well. Various other places have also been suggested - Iona and Iceland being the most popular.

So, if you have any thoughts about where the fourth stone should go then please get in touch and let me know.

Meanwhile, I'm excited to be embarking upon the next stage of this project. There's something quite different about being involved with a piece of work that is long-term: and the migrating stones project is now coming into its ninth year. Sustaining the work is an issue, but there is something distinctly subtle and rather delicious about working slowly with an idea, there is a process of unfoldment that does not adhere to any externally imposed order or time-scale. I rather like this. The work unfolds when it is ready to do so. Of course, from time to time I try to rush it because I am blessed with a great degree of impatience - but to little effect. In the end I acquiesce to the pace of the stone and together we slowly make our migration.

No comments: